Is there a way to undo web browser changing desktop manager

Hello.

I am running Debian 6 LTS, with the GNOME Desktop Manager (if that is
what it is named).

I have three web browsers open; Arora, Konqueror and Rekonq.

Each of the web browsers, is used for different reasons.

None of them, appear to have provision for saving sessions.

In accessing a particular web site, which appears to use the malware
javascript, I tried with Konqueror, as the most stable of these web
browsers, and that would not open the web site, so I opened the web
site with Rekonq.

When the web page involved, opened, it cahnged the desktop GUI theme,
to some MS Windows like theme.

If, in trying to change the theme, I choose
Menu "System" -> Preferences -> Appearance,
I get

"
Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'.
Without the GNOME settings manager running, some preferences may not
take effect. This could indicate a problem with DBus, or a non-GNOME
(e.g. KDE) settings manager may already be active and conflicting with
the GNOME settings manager.
"

so I assume that Rekonq invoked the KDE desktop, and conflicted with
GNOME, and, prevented GNOME desktop functionality.

I had had the three web browsers running without any problems, before
opening the particular web site with Rekonq, with the previous GUI
theme, running okay.

As the three web browsers do not have provision for saving sessions,
if I shut them down, I lose the sessions.

Does a way exist, to kill the KDE GUI that was inflicted, and, return
to the previous GUI, without interfering with the applications that
are open?

And, does a way exist, to prevent applications such as individual web
browsers, from sabotahing the desktop manager settings?

This is a bit like an application saying ":Stuff it - I am bored with
Linux - I am switching to MS Windows".

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby