Re: Is there a way to undo web browser changing desktop manager

On 2015-02-12, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am running Debian 6 LTS, with the GNOME Desktop Manager (if that is
> what it is named).
>
> I have three web browsers open; Arora, Konqueror and Rekonq.
>
> Each of the web browsers, is used for different reasons.
>
> None of them, appear to have provision for saving sessions.
>
> In accessing a particular web site, which appears to use the malware
> javascript, I tried with Konqueror, as the most stable of these web
> browsers, and that would not open the web site, so I opened the web
> site with Rekonq.
>
> When the web page involved, opened, it cahnged the desktop GUI theme,
> to some MS Windows like theme.

That's very peculiar. Could you let us have the URL of the page, and
screenshots of you desktop before and after the event?

> If, in trying to change the theme, I choose
> Menu "System" -> Preferences -> Appearance,
> I get
>
> "
> Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'.
> Without the GNOME settings manager running, some preferences may not
> take effect. This could indicate a problem with DBus, or a non-GNOME
> (e.g. KDE) settings manager may already be active and conflicting with
> the GNOME settings manager.
> "
>
> so I assume that Rekonq invoked the KDE desktop, and conflicted with
> GNOME, and, prevented GNOME desktop functionality.
>
> I had had the three web browsers running without any problems, before
> opening the particular web site with Rekonq, with the previous GUI
> theme, running okay.
>
> As the three web browsers do not have provision for saving sessions,
> if I shut them down, I lose the sessions.
>
> Does a way exist, to kill the KDE GUI that was inflicted, and, return
> to the previous GUI, without interfering with the applications that
> are open?

Examine the output of the command 'ps x' before and after the event.
What new processes are there? Is gnome-session still running? What
happens if you try to kill the new processes, and start gnome-session if
necessary?

> And, does a way exist, to prevent applications such as individual web
> browsers, from sabotahing the desktop manager settings?

I'm surprised that this can happen at all.

--

Liam