Re: Upgrading Kernel - Out of Disk Space

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 09:35:32AM +0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2015-02-12, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You're right in the case of conventional LVM. But OP is using an
> > encrypted one, and resizing an encrypted LV is much more complex
> > (it requires lvresize, cryptmount and resize2fs in the right sequence).
> > It's presumably possible (never done it personally), but complex.
> >

> This is good to know. However I don't understand what you get for your
> money using an encrypted *LVM* file system if the commodity of resizing
> (or reallocation) is more or less removed from the picture.

Using LVM-on-encryption means that you only need one key (one password)
to unlock the system. The alternative (encrypted LVs or partitions)
would mean separate keys for each file system and managing that would be
quite a task. So, while LVM can give you resizing, in this case it's
being used for it's partition-upon-a-partition capabilities.