Re: 3rd new wheezy install

On Sunday, February 08, 2015 02:30:32 AM Bob Proulx wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Then why is fdisk complaining?:
[...]
> It is informative to read the fdisk man page and read the BUGS
> section.
>
>   man fdisk  (on Wheezy 7)
>
>        There  are  several  *fdisk programs around.  Each has its
> problems and strengths.  Try them in the  order  cfdisk,  fdisk,
> sfdisk.   (Indeed, cfdisk  is a beautiful program that has strict
> requirements on the par- tition tables it accepts, and produces high
> quality  partition  tables. Use  it  if you can.  fdisk is a buggy
> program that does fuzzy things - usually it happens to produce
> reasonable results.  Its single advantage is  that it has some support
> for BSD disk labels and other non-DOS par- tition tables.  Avoid it if
> you can.  sfdisk is for hackers only -- the user  interface is terrible,
> but it is more correct than fdisk and more powerful than both fdisk and
> cfdisk.  Moreover, it can be  used  nonin- teractively.)
>
>        These  days  there  also is parted.  The cfdisk interface is
> nicer, but parted does much more: it not only resizes  partitions,  but
> also  the filesystems that live in them.
>
> The Jessie 8 version seems to have been given some love and rewriten.
> I didn't see a util-linux backport to Wheezy or I would suggest it.
>
> > /dev/sda2      1919979518  1953523711    16772097    5  Extended
> > Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary. <------here
>
> That is an extended partition.  That is not your swap partition.  That
> partition is one of the primary partitions that holds the logical
> partitions.  It is the extension to allow more than four partitions.
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_boot_record
>
> And this is a good example where fdisk is showing its age.  It is
> worried you might violate a concept that doesn't exist anymore.  If
> you must use fdisk then you simply must ignore those useless warnings.
> You aren't actually using sda2 other than to hold sda5.
>
> > /dev/sda5       1919979520  1953523711    16772096   82  Linux swap /
> > Solaris
> >
> > But do the math, and it is aligned.  fdisk is lying? IDK.
>
> 'fdisk' didn't say that sda5 was not aligned.  fdisk didn't complain
> about sda5 at all.  fdisk complained about sda2 but that was a
> different complaint.  But fdisk was happy with that sda5.  It was only
> you that was unhappy.

So it would appear, and in fact the disk sems to be happier that a clam.

> You might want to use parted for alignment checks.

Had to install it, but it agrees, although the last example you show is
confusing, Here I get the 2 not aligned, but your paste says 1.

>   root@phobia:~# parted /dev/sda align-check opt 1
>   1 aligned
>   root@phobia:~# parted /dev/sda align-check opt 5
>   5 aligned
>
>   root@turmoil:~# parted /dev/sda align-check opt 1
>   1 not aligned
>
> Bob

1. So it seems I have been barking at the moon. But my first install on one
of these new 4k/sector drives suffered from 20 meg a second drive
performance, so I was an early victim. A Mandrake install IIRC.  I liked it,
but then they went toes up. So at that point I went back to the same install
I am using on my cnc machines so that I could write gcode from a warm comfy
chair as apposed to standing up at the keyboards of those machines.

Now this install is compatible with those, I share all 3 machines with each
other via nfs to move code, and with an rt-pre-empt kermel I can at least
run the simulation to check the correctness of my code while carving
imaginary air.

I have other  problems that I may ask about, but lets put a ~30~ on this
thread

2. I am finally having a conversation with somene who does appear to be
familiar with the subject/problem, and I thank you very much, Bob.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)