Re: 3rd new wheezy install

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > You might want to use parted for alignment checks.
> >   root@phobia:~# parted /dev/sda align-check opt 1
> >   1 aligned
> >   root@phobia:~# parted /dev/sda align-check opt 5
> >   5 aligned
> >
> >   root@turmoil:~# parted /dev/sda align-check opt 1
> >   1 not aligned
>
> Had to install it, but it agrees, although the last example you show is
> confusing, Here I get the 2 not aligned, but your paste says 1.

You should be ignoring partition 2.  You aren't using it.  It is the
extended partition which holds your next logical partition.

I was showing example usage of the tool and showing it returning
results both positive and negative for the example.  My partition 1 is
unrelated to your partition 2 as they are different systems.  Notice
the machine names are names of machines on my network and not in any
way related to your system.  Unless by happenstance you and I chose
the same system names. :-)

You should try 'cfdisk' and look at what it displays.  Here is an
example of the cfdisk output from a system here.

  # cfdisk

    Name        Flags      Part Type  FS Type          [Label]          Sectors
                            Primary   Free Space                           2048*
    sda1                    Primary   linux_raid_m                       997376*
                            Pri/Log   Free Space                           2046*
    sda5        NC          Logical   linux_raid_m                    488280066*

Note that it doesn't display sda2.  If you had been using cfdisk
instead of fdisk you would never even have seen sda2 and therefore
would not have noticed it.  I think the cfdisk folks made a good
design choice there.  It is there as an extended partition.  But
cfdisk does not display it.  Because it isn't used as such.  It is the
way to encapulate logical partitions that you do use.

  # parted /dev/sda unit s print

  Number  Start        End          Size         Type      File system  Flags
   1      2048s        999423s      997376s      primary   ext2         raid
   2      1001470s     3907028991s  3906027522s  extended
   5      1001472s     489281535s   488280064s   logical                raid

That is the same system and a different dump of the same partition table.

I have always really liked using cfdisk in the past.  I hope it gets
some love and attention to keep up to date with new formats too.  Oh,
maybe it is getting attention because when I look at a newer system I
see this:

  # cfdisk (in Sid today)

      Device      Boot      Start        End    Sectors   Size Id Type
      /dev/sda1                63     996029     995967 486.3M fd Linux raid autod
      /dev/sda2            996030 1953520064 1952524035   931G  5 Extended
      |-/dev/sda5          996093  489275639  488279547 232.8G fd Linux raid autod
      |-/dev/sda6       489275703 1114268399  624992697   298G fd Linux raid autod
      `-/dev/sda7      1114268463 1953520064  839251602 400.2G fd Linux raid autod

I see cfdisk is now showing the partitions in a tree display.  This is
an older system that has been upgraded through many major releases and
it is showing that it is older 512 byte alignment.

> 1. So it seems I have been barking at the moon.

Yes.  :-(

> But my first install on one of these new 4k/sector drives suffered
> from 20 meg a second drive performance, so I was an early victim.

Very likely if you were using an older installer that didn't know
about the new 4k AF drives.  That older software would have
partitioned things as they were done before.  That was a problem for
all installers when the new 4k AF drives first appeared because none
of the installers had code to handle it until later.  Of course that
would have had nothing to do with the Debian Wheezy 7 installer.

> A Mandrake install IIRC.  I liked it, but then they went toes up. So
> at that point I went back to the same install I am using on my cnc
> machines so that I could write gcode from a warm comfy chair as
> apposed to standing up at the keyboards of those machines.
>
> Now this install is compatible with those, I share all 3 machines with each
> other via nfs to move code, and with an rt-pre-empt kermel I can at least
> run the simulation to check the correctness of my code while carving
> imaginary air.

It sounds like you have been having fun.  Note however that none of
those things have anything to do with the Debian Wheezy 7 installer
that you have been complaining about here in this thread.

> I have other  problems that I may ask about, but lets put a ~30~ on this
> thread

If ~30~ means stop complaining in this thread about the Debian Wheezy
7 installer not being able to handle AF 4k drives then yes let's do
that. :-)

> 2. I am finally having a conversation with somene who does appear to be
> familiar with the subject/problem,

There is no substitute for face to face conversation with friendly and
knowledgeable people.  With emphasis on the knowledgeable part.  The
sales people in Best Buy are friendly.  But I stick my fingers in my
ears and hum when I walk around there to avoid the anti-knowledgeable
part.  Finding a local user group or other gathering is a way way to
get shared knowledge from the community.  When face to face
misconceptions can be seen and addressed more easily.  I definitely
recommend people get with user groups for real life conversations.

> and I thank you very much, Bob.

Happy to help.

Bob