Re: 3rd new wheezy install

Quoting Gene Heskett (gheskett@wdtv.com):
> > > [cut]

> > To Gene: you don't "skip the partitioner". What you do is instruct the
> > partitioner to make no changes to the disks in your machine, as
> > described below.
> >
> > [snipped most of this detailed explanation]
>
> Why, the results are there in what nyou snipped.

What "results"? The 44 lines of text I snipped were written by Darac Marjal
and he kindly saved me from posting much the same instructions. However, I
have a scratch laptop on which I blanked a partition so I could carry
on the process PAST the partitioner step and demonstrate with the logs
that the partition table is not rewritten, the partition itself is not
reformatted, but nonetheless the base system is installed. What we
need to see is how your system behaved _under_those_circumstances_.

> > SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 60.0 GB ATA ...serial number or whatever...
> >      #1  primary  20.0 GB  B     ext4
> >      #2  primary  20.0 GB     K  ext4    /
> >      #3  primary  19.0 GB        ext4
> >      #4  primary   1.0 GB        swap
> >
> > Undo changes to partition
> > Finish partitioning and write changes to disk.
> >
> And you tab highlited this last line & hit enter?  That is when my partition
> table gets wrecked.

So you say. But YOU've never posted those few lines that show us what
YOU've actually instructed the partitoner to do. What you HAVE posted is
countless partition tables printed by various and sundry partitioning
programs at various and sundry times, with no hard evidence relating
them to the debian installer. For any sort of "forensic" probing by
people here, you have to demonstrate the _connections_ between the
preconditions, your precise actions, and the postconditions.

> > After pressing return on the last line, the partitioner raises its
> > eyebrows because there's no swap, and no partition to be formatted.
> > After OKing "Continue with the installation?" I can switch to the log
> > on VC4 and see that no partition table is written, no partition gets
> > formatted, and the log shows it:
> >
> What is this VC4?  CTL+ALT+F2-3-4 did nothing. Is there another magic key
> combo?

It would appear you still haven't read a Debian installation manual.
"Error messages and logs are redirected to the fourth console.
You can access this console by pressing Left Alt+F4 (hold the
left Alt key while pressing the F4 function key); get back to the
main installer process with Left Alt+F1".
(Personally I use Alt/arrow keys because it's less of a stretch.)

> That is precisely what I am trying to do, because any other path ...

Can you not see the difference between "That is precisely what I am
trying to do" and "I did precisely this"? One is intention, the other
is action. The former is remains a mystery to any computer program.

Cheers,
David.