Re: Spamassassin Upgraded, Now What?

David Baron wrote:
> Ever since my 64-bit fresh install adventure, various things simple are not
> working, no idea why.

If you have done a fresh install then you will need to tell us what
you have done.  We won't know unless you give details.

> I no longer get logcheck emails, for example.

Saying "no longer" implies that it worked previously.  But you said
you did a fresh installation.  At the point that you do a fresh
installation then there is not any "before".  Life of the machine
begins at installation time.  Nothing on the machine exists before
that time.  There is no before.

Do you get any email?  What MTA are you using?  How is emailed
delivered to you?  Are you reading it locally or remotely?  What MUA
are you using to read the mail?  What errors exist in the
/var/log/syslog?  It will take more than twenty questions to get all
of the information.  Best if you simply start at the beginning and
proceed through from there.

> The other one, also maybe around exim4, root, involves spamassasin.

How are you running spamassassin?  There are many ways to run
spamassassin.  Each way is uniquely different.

> That upgraded a couple of days ago

Upgrade?  You said fresh install.  Was it a fresh install or an upgrade?

> and lo and behold, I began having the spam
> stuff actually marked so I could make a kmail filter to dispose of it, could
> also change my procmailrc to do the same, that is, if the spam would get
> placed as specified there.

Details are needed.  Our ability to mind read is limited.

> However, the day after, the spam was no longer carrying the marks. Manually
> starting the daemon did not restore them.
>
> No idea why it stopped working or how to get it going once again.

My car stopped working today too.  It used to work.  But then I sold
it and bought another car.  But it isn't working now.  I have no idea
what is wrong.  What do you think is wrong with it?

If you don't have any idea what is wrong with my car and wonder how
would you possibly know with such little information then that is
exactly where we are with your problems too.

Please read through your message again.  Note specifically what
details you give us.  Ask yourself this question.  Is there enough
information there for anyone to be able to help you?  I think you will
agree that if you don't give any details then it is isn't any way for
anyone else to help you either.

Start small.  Work on the smallest piece of the problem you can
isolate.

Bob