Re: GRUB legal disclaimers before the menu

On Wed 04 Feb 2015 at 09:49:40 +0000, Darac Marjal wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 12:28:31PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> >
> > Simple. A menuentry like this is a legitimate menu entry, i.e. user can
> > try to choose it and press enter. IMO GRUB should do *something* in this
> > case.
>
> As Grub supports multi-level menus, I would suggest that the "neatest"
> solution would be a number of "false" menu entries at the top level,
> each of which is titled with a line from the disclaimer. Each menu THEN
> links through to a secondary menu which is the real boot menu.
>
> So something along the lines of:
>
> submenu "Disclaimer:" {
>    menuentry "Linux" {
>       linux   /vmlinuz
> 	  initrd  /initrd.img
>    }
>    menuentry "Windows" {
>       chainloader ...
>    }
> }
>

> submenu "Do not use this computer" {
>    menuentry "Linux" {
>       linux   /vmlinuz
> 	  initrd  /initrd.img
>    }
>    menuentry "Windows" {
>       chainloader ...
>    }
> }
>
> submenu "  unless authorised  " {
>    menuentry "Linux" {
>       linux   /vmlinuz
> 	  initrd  /initrd.img
>    }
>    menuentry "Windows" {
>       chainloader ...
>    }
> }

May I suggest a slightly different formulation of this idea which has a
bit of tidying-up?

  menuentry "Disclaimer:" {
	configfile /boot/grub/menu.cfg
  }

  menuentry "Do not use this computer" {
        configfile /boot/grub/menu.cfg
  }

  menuentry "  unless authorised  " {
        configfile /boot/grub/menu.cfg
  }

menu.cfg would contain

  menuentry "Linux" {
	linux   /vmlinuz
	initrd  /initrd.img
 }
  menuentry "Windows" {
	chainloader ...
  }

Either way, the OP would have to consider how to handle update-grub.