Re: list non auto packages

Rusi Mody wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Rusi Mody wrote:
> > > Is there a way to get the  packages the user has installed?
> >
> > Try:
> >
> >   apt-mark showmanual
>
> Thanks
> I think this will be very useful
> [have yet to check - need to replicate some machines]

Ah!  You are trying to replicate an existing system and want to know
what to install.  That question gets asked periodically and there is
always discussion but across many years I have yet to see a completely
satisfactory way to do this easily.  For me it is one of those tasks
that doesn't have a good answer.  There are many ways to get close but
no perfect answers.  At one time that was what dpkg --get-selections
was used for.  No matter what is done today it will need some tinkering.

Instead when I need to do this I simply work the problem from a
pristine machine and make it do what I want it to do by installing
whatever.  But when setting it up I carefully document the packages I
install.  I actually script it.  I can then set up replicated systems
using the script and it will be exactly repeatable.  The history of
the script in version control shows my changes to it over time.  YMMV.

Bob