Re: Duel Booting Debian on a Mac

On 30-01-2015 00:57, John Holland wrote:

In the end I uninstalled Debian because of the following problems:

1. The brightness of the screen does not readjust after
suspend/resume in Debian (I worked hard trying to solve this with
some published hacks, but no full success).

2. Often the Mac got hot with closed lid, eating the battery. This
seems caused by the above firmware manipulation hack.

3. Ugrades of OSX seem to damage the reFind configuration. Also there
is a problem writing the hidden rescue partition during an upgrade of
OSX.
\

I'm writing this from wheezy on my macbook pro (2011). It took a while
to get it working well but now it has been for >> 1 year. Some of the
key things that have helped:

things I have never resolved: screen brightness keys, keyboard
brightness keys - I'm not sure if hibernate would work as I don't have
a swap partition to use for it. I did make shell scripts to do these
things and they can be mapped to key combinations in various ways if
those things are a priority.

John Holland
jholland@vin-dit.org
gpg public key ID 0xEFAF0D15

I'm writing this on my macbook pro (late 2011) with xubuntu 14.04 (I switched from debian, which I used for about 6 years, because I don't like systemd).

I have everything working for a month now: suspend, backlight keys, keyboard backlight, sound, ...

I know xubuntu is not debian but, being a derivative, I think it would be possible to do it on wheezy as well. For me, the key was using the package pommed which also exists on debian wheezy. This makes all the hot keys work and also sound and beep, and even switching the default of the function keys (top row).

As to the gpu, I login through refind into grub that passes commands to the kernel that switch to intel and switch-off amd completely. I also had to issue hardware commands directly to the hardware ports by slightly modifying a grub script. As an indication, when I do $ lspci | grep VGA, I only see the intel gpu, the amd doesn't even show.

This saves a lot of battery; when I pull out the adapter, I see 7 hours on the power manager icon. Of course I also have the cpu on "power-on-demand".

Still concerning the suspend, I remember I had to repeat the port commands to switch the gpu on wake-up.

I did this by reading a lot on the net but unfortunately I lost track of the links. But, if you have trouble finding it, I'm willing to dive in it again because only about a month has past, it's still fresh in my mind.

Cheers
jss