Keyboard and mouse failure

I have Linux mint cinnamon LMDE based on Debian Testing installed. It seems to have recently decided that it will arbitrarily drop the connections to the usb or ps/2 ports for the mouse and the keyboard. It's weird since the issue does not carry over into other OSes running on the same hardware. Windows 7 pro and BSD run fine, I have currently replaced my Debian stable system with a testbed for another OS so I don't know if that is affected. It seems to be related to whether I'm using the system or if it is idle, as it's usually dead when I leave it unattended for a spell. I have to restart it to get it going again. Also it does not seem to affect the servers running on that system, Apache, Mysql, and Mediawiki all work OK in the background. Any ideas where to start since googling did not yield any ideas or checking the Mint forum.

--
John Foster
JW Foster & Associates