Re: Linux based cellphones?

Karen Lewellen wrote:
hi All,
If this is not the best place for such a question, direct me elsewhere.
Still I am wondering if there are open source /Linux based mobile devices? If so who manufactures them?

Linux based?  Well.... can you say Android?

Open Source - kind of depends what you mean:
- you can root an Android phone and you have a Linux environment to play with - there are various hybrids, in various states - proprietary phone interface stuff, open source userland - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_mobile_devices is kind of a starting point - fully open source - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_mobile_phones - not a lot of penetration
- Debian based - see https://wiki.debian.org/Mobile/

Miles Fidelman