Need SATA controller for 4TB internal drives

There are lots of choices where the info in directed at Windows users, but precious info available if you want to be sure the card will work on Linux.

From Amazon, i tried the HighPoint 640L because I know someone who had a good experience.  Mine was not so much.  I've tried two of the cards but got connected to my drives only briefly once.  I have no idea why.  Now I'm looking for a solution that will let me connect to my 4TB SATA-3 drives internally, without paying more for it than I paid for the mainboard.

Details:
- running Xubuntui 14.04
- I have PCIe x1 and x16 slots available
- I even have an old PCI slot available, but it may be too slow.
- using mdadm, I have no interest in RAID capabilities, just JBOD.
- The drives are internal, it would be awkward to set them up otherwise.
- I need to connect 2 drives, may want 2 more later, but it can wait.
- Drives are 4TB SATA 3 with GPT partitions
- I can set the mainboard to use AHCI or IDE compatibility
- there is not trace of Windows, so it needs to be configurable with just Linux.

Mainboard had 6 ports available, but it appears that my fooling with things broke a pair of them.  That's why I need the replacement.

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */