Re: apt-get / aptitude [g]libc update not to prompt for restart and not restart

John Hasler wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > When libc is initially upgraded for the first time it will ask you if
> > you want to restart services.  You can answer yes or no at that time.
> > But once that option has been set I don't know of a way to change it.
>
> "dpkg-reconfigure libc6" should do it.

I initially thought so too.  But I tried it and it didn't work so I
didn't mention it. :-(

  # dpkg-reconfigure libc6
  Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-13) ...

I think that is because the postinst script deals with it is protected
inside an 'if' checking for an upgrade.  Since a dpkg-reconfigure is
never an upgrade it never hits that section.

  preversion=$2
        if dpkg --compare-versions "$preversion" lt 2.13; then
          ...stuff...

Note that I didn't actually trace through a script run so I might be
looking at the wrong section.  But regardless it doesn't actually work.

Bob