Re: Connecting to Wireless 802.1x EAP

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 03:15:46PM -0500, Stephen R Guglielmo wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have a debian laptop running jessie using the iwlwifi driver. I can
> connect to WPA2-PSK networks just fine. However, my campus has a
> wireless network that uses WPA-EAP/PEAP authentication. I have read
> the Debian wiki page[1] on the subject and it claims I need to provide
> a certificate.

According to wikipedia, EAP encompasses a whole variety of
authentications methods ranging from certificates, to passwords, to
pre-shared keys, even to SIM cards.

> I have an android phone that can connect to the network using my
> user/pass. It does not require any type of certificate. In fact, for
> the 'Certificate' setting, it defaults to "(none)" and that works.
>
> Why is it that I still need a certificate? Is there a way I can get it
> from the wireless network itself? I've searched and my university does
> not provide a certificate anywhere for download.
>
> This network is similar to the EduRoam[2] network, if you've heard of
> or used it.
>
> I am not using a GUI program to manage my network, only
> /etc/network/interfaces. I have "eth0_home" for home, "eth0_hotspot"
> for my cell phone hotspot, and I want to add a "eth0_uni" for this
> network.

Apparently, adding the following to /etc/network/interfaces should work:

  iface blahblah0 inet dhcp
    wpa-driver wext   # Or whatever you use
	wpa-ssid   YourSSIDHere
	wpa-key-mgmt  WPA-EAP
	wpa-identity  user1@somehost.somewhere
	wpa-password  PleaseLetMeIn

Obviously, adjust the parameters to your situation. This information was
taken from a page describing how to connect to EduRoam itself. Hopefully
your network is sufficiently similar.