Connecting to Wireless 802.1x EAP

Hi guys,

I have a debian laptop running jessie using the iwlwifi driver. I can
connect to WPA2-PSK networks just fine. However, my campus has a
wireless network that uses WPA-EAP/PEAP authentication. I have read
the Debian wiki page[1] on the subject and it claims I need to provide
a certificate.

I have an android phone that can connect to the network using my
user/pass. It does not require any type of certificate. In fact, for
the 'Certificate' setting, it defaults to "(none)" and that works.

Why is it that I still need a certificate? Is there a way I can get it
from the wireless network itself? I've searched and my university does
not provide a certificate anywhere for download.

This network is similar to the EduRoam[2] network, if you've heard of
or used it.

I am not using a GUI program to manage my network, only
/etc/network/interfaces. I have "eth0_home" for home, "eth0_hotspot"
for my cell phone hotspot, and I want to add a "eth0_uni" for this
network.

Thank you!

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#WPA-EAP
[2] https://www.eduroam.org/