Re: Default Gnome session in Jessie

On 2015-01-27, Paul van der Vlis <paul@vandervlis.nl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a way to define the default gnome-session in Jessie
> because I want to use gnome-classic as default for all users.
>
> In Wheezy I could use the alternatives-system, but in Jessie I only have
> one choice there: gnome-session.

So I see. Having a gnome-classic alternative as well would be nice. You
can create your own using the update-alternatives command.

> In "man gnome-session" they say you can define it in a .desktop-like
> file "gnome.session", I think I found the file here:
> /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome.session  but it is unclear for
> me how to change there the default session in the correct way.

I believe the files you want are in /usr/share/xsessions. Those are the
session files read by GDM and other display managers. Note the different
"Exec=" lines in the files. A quick fix here is to remove the
gnome.desktop file, but beware that it will be recreated on upgrade of
the gnome-session package.

Another thought is to create or modify a file for each user in
/var/lib/AccountsService/users/, with the line "XSession=gnome-classic"
in each case.

Surely there must be an easier way.

--

Liam