Re: So much for a wheezy install, massive fail

On Monday 26 January 2015 21:52:35 Bob Proulx did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I was, I screwed around again last night and set it up again, using
> > gparted, until everybody was happy.  So now it looks like this:
> >
> > gene@coyote:~/Downloads$ sudo parted /dev/sdb unit s print
> > [sudo] password for gene:
> > Model: ATA ST1000VX000-1CU1 (scsi)
> > Disk /dev/sdb: 1953525168s
> > Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
> > Partition Table: gpt
> >
> > Number  Start       End          Size         File system     Name
> > Flags
> >
> >  1      4130s       2072384s     2068255s     ext4
> >  2      2072385s    104470694s   102398310s   ext4
> >  3      104470695s  141334694s   36864000s    linux-swap(v1)
> >  4      141334695s  1953520064s  1812185370s  ext4
> >
> > gdisk says its ok, has a protective MBR but is using GPT. So probably
> > the thing to do is get another disk, install to it, then copy it all
> > to a good disk. That would at least get it onto this disk without
> > the installers partitioner touching it.  Worth the effort?  At this
> > point I am not sure.
>
> But a 4130 sector start would not be aligned.  Aligned would be 4096
> for example.  None of those seem aligned.  Doesn't look happy.  Will
> probably have slow access on a 4k AF drive.
>
> Bob

I played around with it last night, using my old gparted, moving a
partition start and end in mebibytes, one at a time, checking with the
other partitioners as I did so, and finally wound up with this for
parted's output, and even fdisk is happy.

gene@coyote:/media$ sudo parted /dev/sdb
[sudo] password for gene:
GNU Parted 2.2
Using /dev/sdb
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print
Model: ATA ST1000VX000-1CU1 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system     Flags
 1      8225kB  1086MB  1078MB  primary  ext4            boot
 2      1086MB  53.5GB  52.4GB  primary  ext4
 3      53.5GB  70.3GB  16.8GB  primary  linux-swap(v1)
 4      70.3GB  1000GB  930GB   primary  ext4

(parted)

Then I sicced mc to copy some of my junk to the newer drive, and exceeded
70 mb/sec on a couple of iso images, so I think it may be usable.  We
shall see later in the week if the networking settings survived a reboot.

This next install has kmail-4.13.5 IIRC.  I have copied my email corpus
(nearly 6Gb) to the same place on the new drive, and will attempt to copy
the kmailrc etc files over and see how bad I can make the newer version
crash. I'd hate to have to re-invent all the mail sorting filters from
scratch.  Call me lazy, but duck. :)

I've copied the latest mailfilter-8.3 sources over but have not built or
installed it yet, along with its filter rules, which should complete the
background mail suckage I use because kmail is single threaded and leaves
the composer window frozen while its out doing its own mail suckage, which
if there is a huge pile can take quite a few minutes.  This way, it may
only take 2 or 3 seconds.

Thanks for the encouragement Bob, its appreciated.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)