Questions to live-build

Hello list,

I am looking for some answers, the live-build I could not find in the live-
build documentation. I hope, someone very experienced can help me.

The situation:
I created a live-build structure and with "lb config" and "lb build" I can
build an ISO-image. That is working well.

Question 1:
I want to change the chroot. For this, I chroot into the chroot and now I can
do my changes I want to do (i.e. change configs or add packages whatever).

How can I build a new ISO-image without the process of cleaning the chroot and
avoid unpacking of all the packages again and again? Is "lb clean" necessary?
"lb build" is doing that every time!

Question 2:
During build I see tons of "lb" commands, started by "lb build". Is there an
explanation of all the "lb"-commands, so that it might be possible for me,
doing a step-by-step build, i.e. giving me the possibilty to restart at a
certain point, when something crashes?

At the moment, when I am building a live-system, and it crashes after several
hours because of a dmaged package or something else, I have to fix it, then
restart again and wait agian for hours. I hope, there is a better solution.

I am building mainly debian-live and kali-linux.

Thank you for every hints!

Best regards

Hans