Re: Questions to live-build

On 24/01/2015 13:30, Hans wrote:
Hello list,

I am looking for some answers, the live-build I could not find in the live-
build documentation. I hope, someone very experienced can help me.

The situation:
I created a live-build structure and with "lb config" and "lb build" I can
build an ISO-image. That is working well.

Question 1:
I want to change the chroot. For this, I chroot into the chroot and now I can
do my changes I want to do (i.e. change configs or add packages whatever).

How can I build a new ISO-image without the process of cleaning the chroot and
avoid unpacking of all the packages again and again? Is "lb clean" necessary?
"lb build" is doing that every time!

If I understand, created files inside the chroot are keeped upon reboot but not installed packets ? If so (seems weird though), cleaning the chroot would just be a matter of executing a "remove" script when going to runlevel 0 or 6 (or whatever!) Keeping packets is more challenging. Could you mount your iso image on / so as to work on a physical partition rather than a ramfs? But I guess it wouldn't be as simple as the iso dynamically loads a valid file system on boot (I think). You could see the situation with a
$ df /

What about changing completely the strategy i.e.:
- boot on the iso.
- installation of packets
(- purging of unwanted files)
- eventually installing a boot loader (the iso obviously has one but the working file-system may not). I'm not sure it would work so I would do that in a second time, and the first time you boot with the new iso, you may use an extern tool.
- copying the entire root tree on some other support.
- creating an iso with the file generated above.

The difficulty might be to copy a file-system which is in use.

But I'm sure not a "very experienced" one so other answers will give you some more valuable information, not double hypothesis of what your question really is and my answer.

Question 2:
During build I see tons of "lb" commands, started by "lb build". Is there an
explanation of all the "lb"-commands, so that it might be possible for me,
doing a step-by-step build, i.e. giving me the possibilty to restart at a
certain point, when something crashes?

At the moment, when I am building a live-system, and it crashes after several
hours because of a dmaged package or something else, I have to fix it, then
restart again and wait agian for hours. I hope, there is a better solution.

If building an iso works as I said above (or otherwise) you would have your backup and a new starting point but it would not prevent the crash! Crashes are quite seldom on Linux (well, for sure on my wheezy at least!), anyway the best idea would be to find the cause and fix it.
Maybe there is a crash dump somewhere (that stays across reboots)?
Does it crashes on both distributions?
Does it crashes if you don't install anything (to test that, you would need time, at least twice the mean time between failures, maybe a night) ?

I am building mainly debian-live and kali-linux.

Thank you for every hints!

Best regards

Hans

Just ideas man, just ideas! As I said, I'm not a professional in that field!

--
mrr