Re: Unable to configure UPS options

On 24/01/2015 03:50, Melvin Call wrote:
Hello,

I have two computers, both running Wheezy and the
XFCE4 Desktop. Both have attached UPS devices, and
lsusb shows the UPS attached to each machine. Yet,
on one I have options to configure actions to take
when on battery, and on the other I have no "On
Battery" tab. I enabled the battery monitor plug-in
in the notification area on both, and the problematic
one shows only to be online (no battery present).

I am looking for help to enable the battery option
on the second machine so when the power goes off
the system will shutdown or suspend to RAM at my
choosing. I have compared installed packages between
the two and see nothing significant. What would my
next step be, please?

Regards,
Melvin

Hi Melvin,

You can use:
$ acpi --battery
to get battery information.

You can create a udev rule to trigger (for example) a suspend to RAM (/usr/sbin/pm-suspend) when the battery is unplugged or below a limit.
I can lead you to information about that if you are interested.

Apart form this I have no clue about the xfce widget (I'm not on a laptop) but you could try some of the xfce4-power-* commands:
$ xfce4-power-information
$ xfce4-power-manager
$ xfce4-power-manager-settings

And of course, continue to investigate differences (maybe in /etc or in ~/.local) between your 2 computers, that's a good idea!

Cheers,

--
mrr