Re: Unable to configure UPS options

On 1/24/15, mrr <mireero@free.fr> wrote:
> On 24/01/2015 03:50, Melvin Call wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have two computers, both running Wheezy and the
>> XFCE4 Desktop. Both have attached UPS devices, and
>> lsusb shows the UPS attached to each machine. Yet,
>> on one I have options to configure actions to take
>> when on battery, and on the other I have no "On
>> Battery" tab. I enabled the battery monitor plug-in
>> in the notification area on both, and the problematic
>> one shows only to be online (no battery present).
>>
>> I am looking for help to enable the battery option
>> on the second machine so when the power goes off
>> the system will shutdown or suspend to RAM at my
>> choosing. I have compared installed packages between
>> the two and see nothing significant. What would my
>> next step be, please?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Melvin
>>

> Hi Melvin,
>
> You can use:
> $ acpi --battery
> to get battery information.
>
> You can create a udev rule to trigger (for example) a suspend to RAM
> (/usr/sbin/pm-suspend) when the battery is unplugged or below a limit.
> I can lead you to information about that if you are interested.
>
> Apart form this I have no clue about the xfce widget (I'm not on a
> laptop) but you could try some of the xfce4-power-* commands:
> $ xfce4-power-information
> $ xfce4-power-manager
> $ xfce4-power-manager-settings
>
> And of course, continue to investigate differences (maybe in /etc or in
> ~/.local) between your 2 computers, that's a good idea!
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> mrr

Thanks for the reply mrr. And I would welcome pointers to developing udev rules.
I dabbled with that a while back, but never really did much with it. In this
case it may be what I need.

I thought you had hit the nail on the head when I tried the acpi command, but
the same command on the "working" system shows the same output:
no-battery:~]$ acpi --battery
No support for device type: power_supply
and
with-battery:~]$ acpi --battery
No support for device type: power_supply

So I tried acpi -V, but there is no real difference:
no-battery:~]$ acpi -V
No support for device type: power_supply
No support for device type: power_supply
Cooling 0: intel_powerclamp no state information available
Cooling 1: Processor 0 of 0
Cooling 2: Processor 0 of 0
Cooling 3: Processor 0 of 0
Cooling 4: Processor 0 of 0
Cooling 5: Processor 0 of 0
Cooling 6: Processor 0 of 0
Cooling 7: Processor 0 of 0
Cooling 8: Processor 0 of 0
Cooling 9: Processor 0 of 0
Cooling 10: Processor 0 of 0
Cooling 11: Processor 0 of 0
Cooling 12: Processor 0 of 0
and
with-battery:~]$ acpi -V
No support for device type: power_supply
No support for device type: power_supply
Thermal 0: ok, 40.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 75.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 1 switches to mode passive at temperature 73.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 2 switches to mode active at temperature 73.0 degrees C
Cooling 0: Processor 0 of 3
Cooling 1: Fan 1 of 1

I don't see anything in /etc or ~/.local that jumps out at me. The only thing I
found that was definitely different was
~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-power-manager.xml does not
have the battery setting in it on the non-working system, but since that file
seems to reflect the settings of xfce4-power-manager-settings I would expect
that to be the case.

So yeah, if you have some udev rule writing help that you can point me to, I
will try that avenue.

Thanks!
Melvin