Re: upgrade kernel

On 16/01/2015 17:50, Marc Auslander wrote:
Pol Hallen <deben@fuckaround.org> writes:
Hi folks!

a security updates of kernel is available (from apt-get upgrade), so:
must I reboot my pc (after upgrade) to avoid security problems? Is
there another way?

thanks for help!

Pol

I always reboot after a kernel related upgrade on the grounds that if
something goes wrong, I want to know about it right now.

The alternative is that sometime in the future, a scheduled or
unscheduled reboot leads to trouble and you have no idea what caused it!

I saw somewhere during kernel compilation an option to load a kernel on the fly but I haven't gone further (maybe it was targeted at kernel developers).

So usually, you do reboot after a kernel upgrade if you want to run the new one.

It's the only occasion (I hope systemd hasn't changed that!) when an upgrade needs a reboot (or am I wrong?). Sometimes though you need a simple log out / log in.

Cheers,

--
mrr