Re: Minimal configuration for a laptop

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015, Selim T. Erdoğan wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 12:19:02AM -0500, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> > On 1/22/15, Jarle Aase <jgaa@jgaa.com> wrote:

> > > If you look for an older laptop, Lenovo ThinkPad may be a good
> > > choise. The 12" models are relatively portable, and the build
> > > quality is fabulous. I've had my old X60T for about 9 years now,
> > > and it's still in daily use. I have changed the disk a few times,
> > > the fan once and the battery twice.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, Lenovo does not support Linux as an option for the
> > > ThinkPad series. But all models I have came across works well with
> > > Debian and other distributions.  (Watch out for the cheaper
> > > ThinkPade Edge series - I have some really bad experiences with
> > > some of those).
> >

> > Mine's Lenovo ThinkPad T61 secondhand. 15" (give or take). Have had
> > it about a year and a half. I LOVE IT..
>
> I also got a second-hand Thinkpad last month, a T400, and I love it
> too. I think it's from 2009 or 2010.
>
> Mine has an Intel core 2 duo CPU (P8400  @ 2.26GHz) and 4GB ram, but
> a slightly slower CPU and 2GB of ram would also be fine for web
> browsing and office stuff.  However, I don't know how much memory
> freemind or other electronic design software uses, so I would
> recommend getting 4GB if you can.  (The T400 is upgradable to 8GB.
> You might want to check the maximum memory capacity on laptops you're
> considering.)
>
> (BTW, for office and the web, even 1GB might work but it may be a
> little tight.  Myolder laptop had 1GB ram and it didn't run out of
> memory often --- only when I had very many tabs open --- but the
> single-core Amd athlon xp 2200 @ 1.6GHz was slow.  It was from 2004.)

How much RAM is sufficient depends more on the desktop GUI.  For GNOME
and KDE, I recommend 4GB at least.  The system I'm using now has gone
through multiple upgrades (hardware and OSes) since I built it in 2007
with a 2.0GHZ 64-bit single-core AMD CPU & 2 GB RAM running Fedora 6,
first 32-bit, then 64, and GNOME2.  Even with just a browser, file
manager, and a few applets running, it could be sluggish at times,
particularly when accessing the menus. Upgrading to 4GB RAM solved all
that.

However, if using XFCE or LXDE or just a window manager, 1 or 2 GB RAM
would be fine.