Re: Minimal configuration for a laptop

On 1/22/15, Jarle Aase <jgaa@jgaa.com> wrote:

> If you look for an older laptop, Lenovo ThinkPad may be a good choise.
> The 12" models are relatively portable, and the build quality is
> fabulous. I've had my old X60T for about 9 years now, and it's still in
> daily use. I have changed the disk a few times, the fan once and the
> battery twice.
>
> Unfortunately, Lenovo does not support Linux as an option for the
> ThinkPad series. But all models I have came across works well with
> Debian and other distributions.  (Watch out for the cheaper ThinkPade
> Edge series - I have some really bad experiences with some of those).

Mine's Lenovo ThinkPad T61 secondhand. 15" (give or take). Have had it
about a year and a half. I LOVE IT..

Dogs sent it for a tumble again last night. "Fairly" soft landing but
still. Dogs apparently shook loose some errant wild bird seed so some
keys crunch when you click them, otherwise all else is well. It's
happened a few times now, *oops*, but this ThinkPad AND hard drive
sure keeps on ticking. :)

~90GB partition with personal files stored elsewhere, 2GB memory.

Extremely minimal Debian. I debootstrapped Jessie then added Xfce,
Xfce Goodies, Libreoffice, GIMP, Inkscape, Openshot, xine, and a
*small* selection of various other *small* programs, mainly tool type
programs as the need arises.

Fan runs so little, I forget that it was a HUGE problem with a variety
of other distros until this new setup. Pretty much only Openshot movie
editor that gets the fan kicked on these days.

LOVE IT.. :)

FYI, there's also a Debian laptop list if you're interested in it in
addition to Debian-User:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/

Good luck.. :)

Cindy :)