Re: Screwed up Jessie Gnome display, no vga

On 23/01/15 10:32 AM, Thomas H. George wrote:
I'm using an old HP desktop, no hdmi. On bootup display is too wide in
both console and Gnome displays.  Monitor controls cannot correct this
so I experimented with the display control in Gnome. Somehow I turned
off the vga signal.  If I restart gdm3 the Gnome login window appears
but after login the screen goes black and the no vga message appears.
Rebooting the computer gives the same result.

Any suggestions of how to decover?

Boot to single-user mode. Enter the root password when asked. Then run X --configure. This should generate an xorg.conf file that you can review/edit then put in /etc/X11.