Re: So much for a wheezy install, massive fail

On Tuesday 20 January 2015 19:17:59 Lisi Reisz did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Wednesday 21 January 2015 00:02:41 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > If there is a way, then maybe I'll try it again, but give me step by
> > step I can printout and follow when there is no one in the room, or
> > available via the net.
>
> Since the problem seems to be unique to you, perhaps your installation
> media are faulty?  I assume you checked?  Which CD/DVD did you use?
>
> I have never had any difficulty using existing partitions and just
> assigning them, and formatting or not at my choice, and have installed
> wheezy quite often, both using existing partitions and creating new
> ones.  I don't have a spare computer on which to install Wheezy at the
> moment, to give you your step by step directions.  I am about to
> install Jessie, but that might be different.
>
> Anyway, if you have it installed, perhaps you could just live with it.
>
> Lisi

Not installed Lisi, I tried to fix the miss-alignment with gdisk, and it
blew the install away.  It of course has big red warning signs, so I
wasn't surprised.

Now I have partitioned and formatted the drive again, making sure that
everytime it auto-checks round to cylinders, I turn it off, and gdisk is
happy as a clam.  I will try another install tomorrow.

Then, checking with  fdisk, only the first partition was visible, and it
was the whole drive. WTH??

e2fsck bombed on any formatted but partition I sicced it after, so gparted
is busy reformatting it yet again. 50Gb /boot, 50Gb swap, 50Gb /, and the
remainder as /home.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)