Re: So much for a wheezy install, massive fail

On Tuesday 20 January 2015 14:37:30 Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I just started to do a wheezy 2.8

Doesn't exist.  Do you mean 7.8?  And which disk?

> install on a disk with 4k sectors, this
> after researching and finding a partitioner utility that DOES know about
> 4k/sector disks.  That is gdisk. which found the gparted setup and fixed
> it, all I had to do was write it to the disk., gparted, an old version is
> not capable of aligning things correctly.
>
> So the disk is all partitioned and formatted but empty.
>
> Now I find I cannot bypass the disk partitioner in the installer, nor can
> I force it to use these partitions on the hilited drive   This is using
> the installer in "expert" mode.

Don't bypass it.  Use it.  Just tell it what you want it to do, and it will do
it.  You need at the very least to allocate the partitions.  You don't have
to create or format them.

>   It will not let me change the "do not use" when I hilite a partition and
> hit enter.  It doesn't even acknowledge the mount points "/boot" and "/"
> already set.
>
> This is less than a desirable thing.
>
> How can I both bypass the broken partitioner, AND force it to use the
> partitions it finds on the hilited drive?

There isn't a problem with the Wheezy partitioner.  You can use it or not as
you choose.  See my comment above.

Sorry, Gene.  This really does look like PEBKAC.  The partitioner is fine.

Lisi