Re: Was: Ric Moore

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Monday 19 January 2015 10:13:20 Richard Owlett did opine
And Gene did reply:
Gene Heskett wrote:
On Sunday 18 January 2015 18:21:02 Mart van de Wege did opine
[SNIP]

apt-get remove network-manager seems to work just fine for me.

Mart

I have attempted that, several times in the past 5 or 6 years.  The
list of stuff it will also remove is usually several printed pages,
IF you could actually get a printout. Unfortunately, you can't even
copy/paste for a record from that screen by any method but a screen
snapshot series. [snip]

I had a similar problem some time back.
Someone pointed me to a utility that saved everything sent to a
console window.
It was not "redirection" nor a "pipe" as the console retained all
its functionality.

The procedure was:
    start the utility in the console specifying a destination file
    run arbitrary number of commands
       [the utility recording input keystrokes and resulting output]
    terminate the utility
    close console if desired

I understand the typical use of the utility is in a classroom
situation where instructor needs to see exactly what the student
did. I know I saved the message but I can't come up with keywords
to retrieve it.

Sounds handy, but how does it handle an application open window whose
contents cannot be copy/pasted?

Cheers, Gene Heskett

I don't follow you.
My response was to your Jan 18 post [https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/01/msg00628.html] saying that "apt-get remove network-manager" generated a multi-page list of files to be removed and it was not possible to cut-n-paste to a file suitable for review at leisure.

"script" [http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=script] seems to satisfy your needs.

In a root terminal type:

script
apt-get remove network-manager

{terminate apt-get by entering n}
{terminate script by entering cntrl-D}

There will be a file titled "typescript" in your home folder.
HTH