Re: how to paste selected text / keyboard shortcut

On 1/19/15, mrr <mireero@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> Ok, my question is in the title but I think I should be more precise so:
>
> I often use the mouse to select some text and then I can paste it using
> the central wheel button of the mouse (that can be simulated by clicking
> both buttons if you don't have the wheel button but I'm getting out of
> subject...).
>
> Is there any way I could paste the selected text with a keyboard shortcut ?
>
> Maybe this isn't possible with only one shortcut as pasting may depends
> on the application _taking_ the paste (I mean that pasting some text in
> thunderbird or in a shell might involve a different logic but it sure
> works with the central button the same way so??).
>
> It's not that important but I'm so lazy and taking twice in a row the
> mouse uses my right hand!

Are you looking for something like CTRL+V? Couple terminals I use
(xfce4's and GNOME's) actually take CTRL+ALT+V, instead. CTRL+ALT+C
likewise copies. I won't use terminals that don't now because those
keyboard shortcuts are a handy user friendly feature.

The others? I've repeatedly tried their proffered keyboard shortcuts
and had very little success.. Insert key and what-not? #FAIL on
regular occasion but no idea why. Hardware/software compatibility is
my guess..

Many programs use CTRL+X for cutting text out and CTRL+C for simply copying.

Highlighting for many text programs (e.g. editors like gedit and
mousepad) is a matter of clicking the up/down/left/right arrows to get
to desired text. CTRL+HOME and CTRL+END leap you around the page, too.

Once desired text selection is reached, clicking SHIFT and holding it
down while then again clicking the four various arrows at same time
highlights the desired text..

It's fairly universal these days, but there are exceptions. I didn't
do so well just now in the my new favorite terminal while attempting
the arrows, grin. Same will happen with text on webpages. There I just
again hold SHIFT down while dragging with the mouse's left button held
down instead. If you use that method in a text editor, be careful
because you can accidentally drag your selection out of place without
realizing it..

Once you get a SHIFT and drag selection started, you can finish the
job by using the arrow keys, too, but it all gets tricky.. Been doing
it for years and still takes 2, 3, 4 attempts some days because of hit
and misses on it..

Once you've selected via SHIFT and drag, CTRL+X and CTRL+C work on
(static) webpages, in chromium anyway. Just tested it..

You can also right click over the now highlighted selection but you
HAVE TO make sure you click directly over where text shows as
highlighted. If you don't, that's when you have to reselect again (the
way I end up doing) because it deselects your selection the second you
accidentally right click over a nearby text area that is not
highlighted. Sometimes it will even deselect if you click in between
lines of selected text instead of directly over the text itself..

Fun, fun. :)

Cindy )

--
Cindy-Sue Causey