Re: Laptop advice

On 18/01/15 03:35 PM, Doug wrote:
On 01/18/2015 12:21 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
On 18/01/15 10:29 AM, john@AgeingGracefully.ca wrote:
I have never installed used nor installed linux on a laptop ($500 - $600), however I have decided to buy one but before doing so I need some advice. These
are the questions that come to mind.

1. Graphics radeon or nvidia? I have nvidia on my desktop but have no
experience with radeon.
2. WiFi what to avoid?
3. Dual boot? What problems should I expect?

I will install Jessie from a thumb drive and upgrade to testing when Jessie
becomes stable.

I generally prefer Radeon. Their drivers are often a bit better - especially the open source ones. NVidea has has some people swearing at them instead pf by them. :)

Most wifi just works. If it doesn't, you can get a really cheap USB wifi adapter.

Dual-booting shouldn't create problems by itself. However Windows doesn't like having its partitions shrunk. I recommend doing a full backup before shrinking the Windows partition then booting into Windows immediately afterward.

Various folks differ on Radeon vs. Nvidia, but I won't get into that except to say that my Dell laptop uses Nvidia and it works fine.

But the other question: I have heard that the best way to shrink Windows partitions is to use the Windows system itself to do so. Somewhere there will be instructions--Google is your friend. I used GParted, and I had some trouble, not knowing about the Windows capability. If I were to do it again, I would definitely use the Windows software to shrink the partitions.

--doug

The problem with Windows is that it won't shrink partitions very much in many cases. It seems to put some "unmovable" files at the end of a partition and won't let you shrink it smaller than their location. I don't know what the files are so I usually do a complete backup, use gparted to shrink the partition, restart in Windows to have it fix the file system, then copy the backed-up files back.

I don't know if this is overkill, but Windows is finicky enough without having some files missing or damaged.