Re: Laptop advice

On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 4:40:04 AM UTC+5:30, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 10:59:07AM -0800, Rusi Mody wrote:
> > On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 10:20:05 PM UTC+5:30, jo...@ageinggracefully.ca wrote:
> > > I have never installed used nor installed linux on a laptop ($500 - $600),
> >
> > > 3. Dual boot? What problems should I expect?
> >
> > Modern uefi/gpt machines can give special challenges for which
> > Ive found this helpful:
> >
> > http://askubuntu.com/questions/221835/installing-ubuntu-on-a-pre-installed-windows-8-64-bit-system-uefi-supported
> >

> This is all for Ubuntu - which may / may not be at all similar.

The ubuntu stuff may or may not match
The stuff which is worth noting carefully is
- shutting down windows in full shutdown (not hibernate) mode
- partition from windows not linux.
  I prefer to break off the chunk in windows and then further
partition in linux
- choice of secure/legacy settings in the bios
  These may not match but its good to know
  [Does debian have a signed image?]