Re: Laptop advice

On Sun, 18 Jan 2015, john@AgeingGracefully.ca wrote:

> I have never installed used nor installed linux on a laptop ($500 -
> $600), however I have decided to buy one but before doing so I need
> some advice. These are the questions that come to mind.

Before doing anything, even buying a laptop, read everything you can
on Linux.  Better to know what you're doing before you do it.  15 years
ago, I read and studied and researched Linux 6 months before I
finally chose a distro and installed it.

Avoid too new laptops.  It takes the Linux community time to catch-up
to new hardware.  If it's been on the market for 6 or more months, then
it will probably be fine.  Any problems will have been solved and
available on the 'Net.

Some manufacturers don't play nice with Linux.  I've always had
problems with HP, both desktops and notebooks.  Thinkpads, however,
have never given me any problems.  The more generic the hardware, the
better.  Generally speaking.

There are a couple Linux compatibilty sites out there.  One just
for hardware like wifi chips, graphics, etc.  The address escapes me,
but a search should turn it up.

Also, there's:  www.linuxonlaptops.com

> 1. Graphics radeon or nvidia? I have nvidia on my desktop but have no
> experience with radeon.

Had few problems with either, but I just need basic graphics.  No 3D.
No animation buffering.  Etc. For games, etc.  I usually go with nVidia
just because I've had more experience with it..

> 2. WiFi what to avoid?

I avoid Intel wifi chips.  In fact, I try to avoid ALL Intel stuff
even CPUs.

> 3. Dual boot? What problems should I expect?

Shouldn't be a problem, but RTFM before doing it.  Windows
has gotten very quirky with 7 and 8.  Also, there's that hidden restore
partition that has to be dealt with properly.

If I need Windows, I prefer to run it in a VM and not dual boot.

> I will install Jessie from a thumb drive and upgrade to testing when
> Jessie becomes stable.

Why compound your problems by upgrading to a new testing?  Testing
by its very nature is buggy. Install Jessie, set it up, fix any
problems, use it until you need a new laptop or the new Testing
 becomes the new Stable, THEN upgrade to it.

I NEVER upgrade to a new version until the old one starts having
unfixable problems or fails my current requirements.  That means I
usually run a version 5 to 7 years.