Re: Laptop advice

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 10:59:07AM -0800, Rusi Mody wrote:
> On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 10:20:05 PM UTC+5:30, jo...@ageinggracefully.ca wrote:
> > I have never installed used nor installed linux on a laptop ($500 - $600),
>
> > 3. Dual boot? What problems should I expect?
>
> Modern uefi/gpt machines can give special challenges for which
> Ive found this helpful:
>
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/221835/installing-ubuntu-on-a-pre-installed-windows-8-64-bit-system-uefi-supported

This is all for Ubuntu - which may / may not be at all similar.

The install medium for Debian 7.8 should boot on UEFI and install grub appropriately.

The installer for Debian testing - which will be Debian 8 soon - installs just fine.
Steve McIntyre has also produced a beta version for testing which will install on
the Intel based laptops which have 32 bit UEFI and 64 bit chipsets - things like
the Bay Trail Asus machines.

There is now also a list - debian-efi - newly set up for discussion of EFI.

All the best,

AndyC