Re: Can't get sound to work

On 01/16/2015 02:56 PM, Robert Latest wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 19:43:23 -0500
Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

On 01/15/2015 03:54 PM, Hans wrote:
First questions:

Are you running pulseaudio or alsa?

Did you try alsamixer?

Often it is possible, to choose different hardware in the GUI. Did
you try other ones, too?

Best

He's got an asoundrc file in /etc. I thought that use was deprecated
some years ago. Maybe if the OP mv;d that file to another name,
rebooted and ran alsamixer first, then add pavucontrol along with
pulse, he might have a better experience, IMHO.

Hi Ric,

it's getting weirder: I installed pavucontrol, started it, and started
mplayer in some other window. No sound on my headphones, but the
little VU bar flashing. Unplugged headphones, sound came from the built
in speaker. Plugged headphones back in, pavucontrol sees it and changes
from "unplugged" tp "plugged in", still no sound on headphones.

With aplay -D hw:0,0 it still works.

OK, now trying to remove all pulse-related stuff.

You're shooting yourself in the foot. IF alsa won't work, pulse will not either. IF you used pavucontrol, set up your sound sources, then selected playback while the file was playing, you should have seen the volume bar twitching. If it was, did you check to see if the volume was scrolled up to 100%, unmuted, and that the headphone was selected??

Or, is this some headphone plugged into the soundcard audio-out jack? Maybe you're plugged into audio-out (which is non-amplified) instead of the headphone jack, which is? OR if there is just one output jack, which relies on some sort of hardware magic to determine if it should act like audio-out/headphone out, there in lies the problem. PLugging in the headphone, removing it and pugging it in, multiple times might get it to switch correctly. They don't always work right. Get a cheap set of USB headphones and suffer no more. Leave the sound card to drive speakers, which worked, as you mention. That must be the problem as I had that happen trying to plug in some earbuds. The audio-out expects the plugged in device to have it's own amplifier. Headphone out uses the sound card amplifier to drive a non-amplified device, like old headphones. No sound indicates you're in the wrong jack or it fails to auto-select/switch between the two states if there is only one out jack. I bet this is the problem. Refer to your manual if you have it. Ric

Linux user# 44256