Re: Can't get sound to work

On 01/16/2015 04:33 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
<snippage>

The symptoms are not the same as yours. aplay doesn't play sound when I
select the PCM device on the command line. But, with audacity, if I
explicitly select ALSA as output and device hw:1,0, sound comes out. So, I
may have another problem that prevents aplay from running when the PCM
device is specified and the above solution may still help you.

BTW, I have pulseaudio installed in case it matters.

So the advice is to have alsa and pulseaudio?

You have to have alsa. That is the sound system. Pulse sits on top of it to direct your sound sources where you want them to be, as in multiple sound devices, speakers and microphones. You can do this on the fly, as in switching between 7.1 to USB head phones for quiet listening. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256