Re: Can't get sound to work

On 01/16/2015 01:24 PM, Robert Latest wrote:

pulse, he might have a better experience, IMHO.

I'll try that (have to install first). If it works, can I then purge all
ALSA-related stuff from my system? Or could I also remove all
pulse-related stuff and keep ALSA?

I happen to love
using pulse, although years ago I was spitting mad at it. Works a
charm for me now, especially when using different sound
inputs/outputs on the fly. Ric

I'm not that picky. All I want is hear sound from mplayer or webpages
with video content.

Thanks,
robert

I won't swear to it, but I think PA runs on top of Alsa, so don't remove it.
Even if that is not the case, they are compatible--i.e., Alsa will not
interfere with PA.

For years I swore at PA and always removed it, but in the last year or so,
it is working, and has some features you can't get anywhere else, like being
able to output sound from two sound cards at once, so as to send sound along
with video to your TV, while still hearing it locally at your computer.

If all else fails, you can remove pulse and keep Alsa, but I wouldn't try it
the other way round.

--doug