Re: Can't get sound to work

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 19:43:23 -0500
Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/15/2015 03:54 PM, Hans wrote:
> > First questions:
> >
> > Are you running pulseaudio or alsa?

I don't know. I seem to have both on my system. I don't know what the
difference is, or if one is running on top of the other, or if they are
fighting over my soundcard. How would an application that wants to play
sound figure out which system to use?

> > Did you try alsamixer?

When I just run alsamixer, I see one big vertical adjustment. When I
run alsamixer -c 0 I see a lot of controls (Master, Headphone, PCM...).
Still I can't hear anything unless running aplay -D hw:0,0.

> > Often it is possible, to choose different hardware in the GUI. Did
> > you try other ones, too?

F6 lets me select different cards in alsamixer, but it doesn't change
anything if I run anything but aplay -D hw:0,0 in another window.

> He's got an asoundrc file in /etc. I thought that use was deprecated
> some years ago.

I put it there hoping to make the "-D hw:0,0" thingy the default for
all sound-playing software.

> Maybe if the OP mv;d that file to another name,
> rebooted and ran alsamixer first, then add pavucontrol along with
> pulse, he might have a better experience, IMHO.

I'll try that (have to install first). If it works, can I then purge all
ALSA-related stuff from my system? Or could I also remove all
pulse-related stuff and keep ALSA?

> I happen to love
> using pulse, although years ago I was spitting mad at it. Works a
> charm for me now, especially when using different sound
> inputs/outputs on the fly. Ric

I'm not that picky. All I want is hear sound from mplayer or webpages
with video content.

Thanks,
robert