Re: problem with corrupted root password

Hi the list,

Wed, 14 Jan 2015 17:51:35 -0700
Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote :

> Did you get added to the sudo group?  If you are lucky then you did
> and you can use your own password instead of root.
>
>   $ sudo passwd root
>   $ su -
>   #

Indeed, it is the easiest way.

> [...]
>   $ sudo -l

Using this, you will know what you can do.

Some times ago, I read an interesting article about reseting root password:
http://www.iodigitalsec.com/reset-linux-root-password/

You can first try to stop the bootloader in its initial phase and pass /bin/sh as initial program instead of /sbin/init or /bin/systemd.

This allows to boot and get full rights to your system.

Nice if you have no Rescue CD.

Jean-Marc <jean-marc@6jf.be>