problem with corrupted root password

I recently got wheezy up and running.  I installed xfce4 and like it.

However, today in the process of trying to spawn a root terminal (in Accessories) and going through a cycle of trying to get authorized but being prevented by repeated complaints that the system password I used was not correct, I now find that I can not get logged in in single-user mode!  I have thus royally screwed up.  So, how can I get the system password changed to something new?

Thanks for help and apologies for making such an error.

Comer