Re: Unable to upgrade testing system

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 08:01:36PM -0500, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
> On 1/3/15, Siard <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:
> >
> > I can confirm that I have been able to fix these very problems using
> > aptitude. It was an install of jessie that had not been updated for
> > a month or two giving these errors, whereas another install of jessie
> > that had been updated regularly, did not have such problems.
>

> The successful, regularly updated one as being in incremental steps
> versus the not so regularly updated one with glitches being one facing
> a larger "step" sure stands out. I've seen the same mentioned about
> different offshoots of Debian.. Recommendations are to do baby steps
> in upgrades there..

Example: Jessie's frozen not long back. There will be fewer changes but
packages are gradually updated to fix bugs / packages are removed for
releasse critical bugs.

[Made up numbers follow]

Suppose there are 1000 fixes overall in about three months.

You have a choice of doing: 100 tiny upgrades, each fixing 10 bugs at a time.

One upgrade a week - fixing about 96 bugs a time

One upgrade a month - fixing about 330 bugs a time

One upgrade in the three month period at the end - fixing all 1000 bugs.

There is always the chance that you'll miss a package change which may break
soemthing else the longer you leave it.

if the marginal cost to you of doing the upgrades is small - you've got three or four
minutes to spend while your machine checks updates and installs each time -

Are you better to spend 400 - 500 minutes - 6 1/2 - 8 1/3 hours - doing 100 tiny update checks each of which
is likely to succeed?

Twelve upgrades - each taking half an hour to an hour in total because it may take longer to download packages -
6 - 12 hours?

Four upgrades - each of which will take anything up to a couple of hours by the time they've downloaded
the packages  / unpacked and installed them - 8 hours - 16 hours?

One upgrade, which may go well - set aside a couple of hours - or might take significantly longer
and may cause problems you may have to sort out?