Re: Unable to upgrade testing system

On 1/3/15, Siard <shiems146@kpnplanet.nl> wrote:

> I can confirm that I have been able to fix these very problems using
> aptitude. It was an install of jessie that had not been updated for
> a month or two giving these errors, whereas another install of jessie
> that had been updated regularly, did not have such problems.

The successful, regularly updated one as being in incremental steps
versus the not so regularly updated one with glitches being one facing
a larger "step" sure stands out. I've seen the same mentioned about
different offshoots of Debian.. Recommendations are to do baby steps
in upgrades there..

People report issues regularly if they try to skip a couple major
upgrades in between what they're using and whatever is just released.
In that same realm, I've also seen it regularly advocated that users
take the time and use the necessary additional resources to go through
every other major missed release point before landing at the last,
latest one..

I've pondered out loud about it before somewhere.. It's obvious
something regularly doesn't cog together well somehow, but I wonder
what. What is it that works about incremental that so regularly
doesn't if someone for any reason misses a couple seemingly minuscule
upgrade points in between? I wonder how we users can nail down what's
going on to help make it occur less so forever after..

*cough-cough* #Usability *cough-cough* :)

It's good to know that Aptitude helped. It would be interesting to
hear what Aptitude *does* do under the hood when users tell it to try
again.. Each, our favorite package managers... they're what make
Debian rock and roll..........

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey