Re: Unable to upgrade testing system

On Fri, Jan 02, 2015 at 07:12:48PM -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2015 6:33 PM, "Sam Varghese" <sam@gnubies.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have been trying to upgrade a system that is running testing. for the
> > past couple of weeks and have been getting the following errors:
>

> [oodles of errors]
>
> > Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> > root@tuatara:/home/poormigrant#
> >
> > I am using a Lenovo i7 laptop:
> > root@tuatara:/home/poormigrant# uname -a
> > Linux tuatara 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-2 (2014-11-06) x86_64
> > GNU/Linux
> >
> > Any help on resolving this would be gratefully received. I am not
> > subscribed to
> > the list so I would appreciate being copied in.
>
> I have always found aptitude extraordinarily good at resolving such problems.
> It will upgrade what it can, stop, and when asked to upgrade again, will often
> complete the process. Under the hood, it may be doing exactly what Bob Proulx
> just suggested in his reply.

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to reply. I tried out aptitude and just
as you and one other person on the list said, it solved the issue and upgraded
everything.

But why is this? Doesn't apt-get do the same thing as aptitude?

Bob Proulx, I tried out aptitude first so the output from those commands you
cited would presumably be of no use now as all is fine. Thanks for your
suggestions anyway.

Sam