Re: Any advice for a user about to use LVM for the first time?

On 31/12/14 04:57 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
I've just gotten 4 4TB drives to replace my 4 2TB drives. I'm wanting to have one normal 4TB drive and one logical 12TB drive, so I will make three physical drives into one group, one logical volume and one partition support the big partition. My system actually resides on a fifth: an SSD drive. I am not interested in RAID, and I'm not sure striping would even help. I just have gigantic files I need to create and process once in a while, so it's really temporary space.

I do want to insulate the one drive from any failures on the other three. That data is not at all temporary, but it is backed up regularly. I want to limit it's failure profile.

I've read through some documentation, including
http://www.debian-administration.org/article/410/A_simple_introduction_to_working_with_LVM
So I think I know how to do it. I'm just not sure I know how to do it _best_. I'm a bit daunted by the size of /etc/lvm/lvm.conf, and wonder if the defaults are going to work for me.

I'm about to start a backup of the existing system. It will take a while. I wonder if anyone has wisdom they'd like to share.

I've never had any use for LVM. With 4 x 4T drives, why not create a single 12T RAID 5 array, or use ZFS or BTRFS as others have suggested.