Re: Any advice for a user about to use LVM for the first time?

On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 10:42 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I do want to insulate the one drive from any failures on the other three.
> That data is not at all temporary, but it is backed up regularly.  I want
> to limit it's failure profile.

Using mdadm RAID?  Or LVM raid?  I have personally only used mdadm
raid and not lvm raid.

Probably mdadm.  LVM would add more capability, but I don't need it and it looks like another layer or two of abstraction, which usually comes at a cost.

> I'm a bit daunted by the size of /etc/lvm/lvm.conf, and wonder if
> the defaults are going to work for me.

The defaults should be fine for most people.  I recommend avoiding
looking at the file again and then it won't trouble you.  :-)

That's advice i can follow.  I like that.

> I'm about to start a backup of the existing system.  It will take a while.
> I wonder if anyone has wisdom they'd like to share.

Use the defaults.  They will be fine.  Just do it.

I am very happy to read that you are backing up first.  That is an
important safety net.

I have more storage in backups than were running on the system by a factor of 3 or 4.  That will suddenly change with these 4TB drives, of course, but the added stuff will be temporary and not backed up.  It's cheaper than paying thousands to send a dead drive to a clean room for recovery.  I did that when my PhD research project, drafts and results got hosed.  Ouch.  Lesson learned.

I've been putting the drives in some drive docks I have, and playing with formatting and such.  I don't have 3 of them, so I can't build the RAID yet. I've made and populated the 4TB drive that will take the permanent stuff that's on my current 2TB drives.  I'll be switching to it today.

There's one remaining question I have, which is fortunately not urgent.  It's not clear what I'm going to have to do to bring the RAID online after a reboot.  It doesn't seem to be as simple as tweaking /etc/fstab, like it is on bare drives.  I suppose I can do an assemble operation manually each time.  Is there a best practice for making this automatic?

Thanks,
++kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman
#define QUESTION ((bb) || (!bb))   /* Shakespeare */