Re: Any advice for a user about to use LVM for the first time?

On Jan 01 23:42, Bob Proulx (bob@proulx.com) wrote:

> Using mdadm RAID?  Or LVM raid?  I have personally only used mdadm
> raid and not lvm raid.

Yes. LVM raid is today usually best to avoid. I generally use mdadm
for raid (unless hardware raid is available) and put lvm on top of that.
And I tend to use raid whenever I can, that is, in almost every
machine with enough room for disks, and raid1, raid6 or raid10,
sometimes raid0 when speed is crucial but data is expendable
(cheap to regenerate); raid5 I try to avoid.

--
Tapani Tarvainen