Re: Any advice for a user about to use LVM for the first time?

Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I do want to insulate the one drive from any failures on the other three.
> That data is not at all temporary, but it is backed up regularly.  I want
> to limit it's failure profile.

Using mdadm RAID?  Or LVM raid?  I have personally only used mdadm
raid and not lvm raid.

> I'm a bit daunted by the size of /etc/lvm/lvm.conf, and wonder if
> the defaults are going to work for me.

The defaults should be fine for most people.  I recommend avoiding
looking at the file again and then it won't trouble you.  :-)

> I'm about to start a backup of the existing system.  It will take a while.
> I wonder if anyone has wisdom they'd like to share.

Use the defaults.  They will be fine.  Just do it.

I am very happy to read that you are backing up first.  That is an
important safety net.

Bob