Re: no microphone in skype

On 12/06/2014 05:04 PM, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Ralph Katz <ralph.katz@rcn.com> wrote:

While I have no specific suggestions for you, I can confirm that Skype
works with my debian wheezy ver. 7.7 and xfce desktop on my laptop:
ralph@spike2 ~$ dpkg -l skype \*pulseaudio\* | grep ^ii
ii  gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio:amd64        0.10.31-3+nmu1                     amd64        GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio
ii  pulseaudio                            2.0-6.1                            amd64        PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-module-x11                 2.0-6.1                            amd64        X11 module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-utils                      2.0-6.1                            amd64        Command line tools for the PulseAudio sound server
ii  skype                                 4.3.0.37-1                         i386         Wherever you are, wherever they are

Thanks, Ralph. This is helpful. It gives me a data point to tracedown
why skype is not working.

Couple of questions:
1) What type of microphone are you using? Are you using a USB
connection? In my case, I am using Logitech web camera that is
connected via USB. The web camera provides both audio and video
functionalities.

2) When you run pavucontrol -> Input Devices , how many input devices
do you see? What are they?

3) In the Configuration tab, how many devices are listed for you? What are they?

4) Is there a conflict between alsa and skype 4.3.0.37-1? Do you have
any alsa packages installed on your machine?

In skype options, sound devices, Allow skype to adjust mixer levels is
checked.

I have this checked. But that does not seem to be sufficient.

Perhaps some ideas from here may help you:
https://wiki.debian.org/skype

I checked that wiki before posting my question. It did not have
anything that could help my current situation.
I'm suspecting alsa. Something must be muted. Sure your microphone isn't physically muted via the manual switch on a USB cable if you have one?? Heh, had that happen more than once and lost a patch of hair over it. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256