Re: no microphone in skype

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 2:39 PM, Ralph Katz <ralph.katz@rcn.com> wrote:

> While I have no specific suggestions for you, I can confirm that Skype
> works with my debian wheezy ver. 7.7 and xfce desktop on my laptop:
>> ralph@spike2 ~$ dpkg -l skype \*pulseaudio\* | grep ^ii
>> ii  gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio:amd64        0.10.31-3+nmu1                     amd64        GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio
>> ii  pulseaudio                            2.0-6.1                            amd64        PulseAudio sound server
>> ii  pulseaudio-module-x11                 2.0-6.1                            amd64        X11 module for PulseAudio sound server
>> ii  pulseaudio-utils                      2.0-6.1                            amd64        Command line tools for the PulseAudio sound server
>> ii  skype                                 4.3.0.37-1                         i386         Wherever you are, wherever they are

Thanks, Ralph. This is helpful. It gives me a data point to tracedown
why skype is not working.

Couple of questions:
1) What type of microphone are you using? Are you using a USB
connection? In my case, I am using Logitech web camera that is
connected via USB. The web camera provides both audio and video
functionalities.

2) When you run pavucontrol -> Input Devices , how many input devices
do you see? What are they?

3) In the Configuration tab, how many devices are listed for you? What are they?

4) Is there a conflict between alsa and skype 4.3.0.37-1? Do you have
any alsa packages installed on your machine?

> In skype options, sound devices, Allow skype to adjust mixer levels is
> checked.

I have this checked. But that does not seem to be sufficient.

> Perhaps some ideas from here may help you:
> https://wiki.debian.org/skype

I checked that wiki before posting my question. It did not have
anything that could help my current situation.

thanks
raju