Re: Debian fork: 'Devuan', Debian without Systemd

Laurent, I wrote:

> > So you can still choose to what init system to use, but running
> > completely without any systemd related packages gives you a really
> > crippled system.

For me that states clearly that I am perfectly aware of that.

So I do not get why you repeat it and even complain that its already explained
several times on this ML as actually I think I did not leave a trace of doubt
of my awareness of that in the way I have written this.

> But if you have that special concern, you'll have to start recompiling
> the packages I'm afraid. Start with policykit and network-manager (and
> other package defining a dependency against libpam-systemd) to make
> them use ConsoleKit again, you would at least be able to remove the
> systemd package completely.

I just showed this.

I am not sure whether I have a concern about it.

But its a topic the devuan fork can extend upon whats currently available in
Debian. Whether it would be necessary to fork Debian for that, I don´t know.
That would depend on whether maintainers of the involved Debian packages would
accept patches which can make them (maybe optionally?) use ConsoleKit again. I
bet there may be a limit on what the maintainers of the official Debian packages
would accept there.

Of course, its also thinkable to provide those patches upstream, but I have
doubt that GNOME maintainers would accept them.